In Genshin Impact, Layla is a 4-star character who wields a Cryo God's Eye and is proficient with a one-handed sword. In a squad, she can play the role of a secondary damage dealer or shield support. In this guide, we'll show you her best builds, weapons, and artifacts, as well as point out the best teams for her.
Note: Twilight Academy student is not yet officially released, so the data presented here is based on information received as part of the beta testing. If necessary, we will update the guide when the heroine appears in the game. In addition, in update 3.2, her banner with an increased drop rate will be launched.
Layla's main features
Lyla's stat progression
The table below shows how a character's base stats change as they level up.
|Level||Basic HP||Basic Attack||Basic Defense||Bonus HP%||Crit Chance Hits||Crit. damage|
Laila's Advantages and Disadvantages
Thanks to her unique abilities, this swordswoman can effectively protect her allies and assist in creating Cryo reactions. Its advantages include:
- Relatively high basic attack for 4-star characters, which makes it easier to use as a damage dealer.
- Elemental Explosion consumes low energy (40 counts) and its duration matches the cooldown (12 seconds), allowing it to be used in continuous mode. Its effectiveness depends on Laila's maximum HP, which grows with her ascension.
- The strength of the shield depends on the heroine's maximum health, which greatly simplifies the build when deciding to use her as a shield.
- The shield protects well against Cryo damage and can fire homing projectiles that deal Cryo damage.
- Pairs well with many Cryo, Hydro, Electro and Pyro characters, both as a shield character and as a sub-dps.
However, there were a number of disadvantages, which include:
- To turn Laila into a strong damage applicator (closes reactions), you need to open the 6th Constellation, since without it the elemental skill does little damage .
- When using an elemental skill, she will apply a Cryo status to herself, which for a short time makes her vulnerable when fighting Hydro opponents (not tested).
- If using Laila as a sub-DD, it will be more difficult to collect her build, so how the effectiveness of the explosion of the elements and the shield depends on the maximum health, and E-shki and standard hits – on the attack power. You will also have to increase critical damage with artifacts or weapons.
- The elemental skill has a long cooldown of 12 seconds.
How to get Layla
In the second phase of update 3.2, this heroine will appear in a banner, which will make it possible to get her with a high probability. Then she will most likely be added to the standard Prayer, which will reduce the chance of a student falling out. At the same time, developers often hold events in which they give 4-star heroes for free. If Laila is added to such an event, then we will definitely tell about it.
When performing a normal attack of the Sword of the Shining Path, the heroine performs up to 3 blows with the blade, and when charged, she makes a couple of quick swings with the sword, spending stamina. In the event of an air attack, it lands on the ground, dealing splash damage.
After using the elemental skill “Night of Venerable Focus”, the swordswoman activates a shield (Canopy of Dreams) and inflicts small Cryo damage in an area. The amount of damage absorbed by the shield depends on the character's maximum health, however Cryo damage is absorbed at 250% efficiency. After the shield appears, Lyla gains Cryo status for a short time.
Let's add that every one and a half seconds while the shield is in effect, one Night Star appears on it. When an elemental skill is used by an active hero who is under the effect of the Canopy of Dreams, two stars are created at once (in this way they can be generated no more than once every 0.3 seconds). Up to four stars can be in the dream canopy at the same time.
If you collect four stacks, and there are opponents nearby, then they will transform into homing meteors in turn, which will hit the mobs, causing them Cryo damage. New stars will not appear. If the shield is destroyed or terminated, the night stars will immediately disappear (if they have not already turned into meteorites).
When using the elemental explosion “Star Cradle Dream”, a Celestial Dream Sphere is created in the air, releasing into monsters, in the area of effect, ice projectiles that deal Cryo damage. Each charge generates a star on the shield upon hitting an enemy (maximum one star per half second).
Not to mention this sleepy student's special passive skills:
- Ghostly Prophetic Dreams – She has a 10% chance to spawn another item while crafting talent materials.
- Emerging Light – When the shield is active, each new star creates a Deep Sleep effect, which increases the strength of protection by 6%. The bonus can stack up to four times.
- Undisturbed Sleep – Increases damage from meteors by 1.5% of the heroine's maximum health.
To open them, you will need the character's luck, obtained by dropping copies of the fighter during Prayers, that is, this process is completely random. However, the chance of getting 4-star heroes is much higher than 5-star ones, so you can try to open all the constellations.
Note that the most useful constellation for support is the fourth, and for the sub-DD – the sixth, as it enhances the elemental skill of the heroine, turning her into a good applicator. Below are descriptions of all the constellations.
- Fortress of Fantasy – Increases damage absorption by Dream Canopy by 20%. Using an elemental skill will grant heroes who do not have a Dream Canopy with a shield that is 35% as strong as a full Dream Canopy. Nice bonus for a shield support.
- Light's Dominion – Meteors will restore 1 unit of heroine's energy when they hit enemies. A little useful constellation, since Layla's ultimate is very cheap.
- Secrets of the Long Night – Elemental skill level increases by three. Max level: 15.
- Starlight – When meteors are launched, all party members receive a Twilight Star, which increases the damage from their normal and charged attacks by 5% of the swordswoman's maximum health. The effect can last up to 3 seconds and expires 0.05 seconds after making a basic attack. A very useful constellation for a support character.
- Creek of Consciousness – Elemental explosion level increases by 3. Max level: 15th.
- Radiant Soul Flame – Increases damage from elemental skill meteors and ult projectiles by 40%. Night Stars generate 20% faster. A great constellation for a sub-DD that increases Laila's personal elemental damage.
How to play Laila
On the battlefield, it can function as both a reactor (create opportunities for reactions to occur) and a shield (protect allies). In the first case, it should be used as a secondary damage dealer (deals more Cryo damage and can be on the battlefield more often), and in the second case, as a support.
In this case, in both cases, you must simultaneously use both the explosion of the elements and the elemental skill. The main difference will be that for a support character, the E-shka is needed mainly to create a solid shield, and the ult is the imposition of Cryo status on enemies. Sub-DD will use abilities to deal maximum Cryo damage to enemies.
Also keep in mind the set of stars for the Canopy of Dreams. You can significantly speed up this process by switching to another character and immediately applying his elemental skill (gives 2 levels immediately).
If we talk about rotation, then it will be plus or minus the same for both support and secondary DPS:
- Activate Layla's elemental skill to create a shield and her elemental explosion to impose Cryo status on enemies . When playing as a sub-DD, these actions are necessary to deal large and constant Cryo damage (meteors and ults).
- Switch to secondary DPS and supports whose abilities act from the “pocket” (Kokomi, Xing Qiu, Xiang Lin and so on).
- Take the main damage dealer and deal the main damage to enemies, creating reactions based on Cryo elements.
- Then repeat the process until the end.
Note that under certain conditions, for example, if there is Chun Yun in the team, capable of endowing the swordswoman with Cryo infusion, and the 6th Constellation, she can be used as a main-DD by closing the Cryo reactions (applicator). In this case, on the third step, you will need to switch to Layla, inflicting normal blows on enemies.
At the same time, in all rotations, it is necessary to use the elemental skill and elemental explosion every 12 seconds (if there is enough energy) to constantly maintain the shield and deal damage with the ult.
Best builds for Laila
It's pretty simple here, as all you need to do is maximize the heroine's HP to make her shield as strong as possible. In this situation, the following one-handed swords can be used as weapons:
|Name and rarity||Stats (level 1-90)||Passive|
< img class="aligncenter" src="/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/lajla-v-genshin-impact-gajd-na-luchshie-bildy-23aa282.jpg" alt="Lajla in Genshin Impact: guide to best builds" />
Hajj Nisut Key (5 Stars)
HP Bonus: 14%~66.2%
Basic Attack: 44~541
|When hit by an elemental skill, increases the hero's elemental mastery by 0.12% of their maximum health for 20 seconds. The bonus can appear once every 0.3 seconds and stack up to three times. After receiving the 3rd charge, the MC of all nearby characters is increased by 0.2% of the maximum HP of the fighter using this sword. The best weapon for a shielder, as it gives a huge increase in health. It can also buff allies by increasing their elemental mastery.|
Oath of Freedom (5 stars)
Elemental Mastery: 43~198
Basic Attack: 46-608
|Increases damage dealt by 10~20 percent and accumulates Talismans of Empowerment even when the character is not on the battlefield. After collecting two talismans, they disappear, increasing allies' normal and charged damage by 16% and attack power by 20%. A good option for both support and sub-DD. The fact is that it not only strengthens allies, but also increases Laila's personal damage and elemental mastery (makes her reactions more powerful).|
Xyphos Moonglow (4 stars)
Elemental Mastery: 36~165 < /p>
Basic Attack: 42-510
|Every 10 seconds, increases the character's Energy Recovery by 0.035% for each point of their Elemental Mastery. The effect lasts 12 seconds. Nearby allies receive 30% of this bonus. The buff stacks if the weapon is wielded by other party members. Layla herself doesn't really need energy due to the low cost of her ult, but her allies can use it. In addition, increasing the MC will increase the reactions created by the student, so this weapon is also suitable for a secondary damage dealer.|
Favonius Sword (4-Star)
Power Regen: 13.3%~61.3%
Basic Attack: 41-454
|Crits have a 60% chance to restore 6 energy. The effect occurs every 12 seconds. The Favonius weapon is always a good support option, as almost every team has at least 1-2 characters that need a lot of energy to use the ult. You don't need more than 20-30% crit chance to consistently activate the blade's passive.|
In terms of artifacts, we recommend that you complete the Millelite Fortitude full set, 2 pieces of which increase health by 20 percent, and 4 pieces increase the attack of all heroes in the team by 20 percent, and their shield strength by 30 percent. The duration of the effect is 3 seconds (it occurs every 0.5 seconds). The effect triggers even if the character equipped with it is not on the battlefield. It can be obtained in the Mountain Watch dungeon.
If you don't have this set, you can take the full set of Ceremony of the Ancient Nobles, 2 parts of which increase elemental explosion damage by 20%, and 4 parts increase strength attacks of all party members by 20% for 12 seconds after using the ult. Looted in the Clear Water and Mountain Cave dungeon.
If we talk about choosing the main characteristics of artifacts, then take an hourglass for HP%, a goblet (cup) for HP%, and a crown (hat) for HP%. Among the additional attributes, you should pay attention to the restoration of energy, ATK% and crits.
Secondary or primary damage
It will be more difficult here, since you will have to increase not only the health of the heroine, but also the damage it deals to Cryo, increasing crits. In this case, we advise you to take one of the following one-handed swords:
|Name and rarity||Stats (Level 1-90)||Passive|
Precious Pool ( 5 stars)
Critical Hit Chance: 9.6%~44.1%
Basic Attack: 44-542
|Increases the heroine's health by 20%~40% and grants an attack bonus equal to 1.2%~2.4% of her maximum health. Not only does it increase Layla's crits, but it also boosts her shield, ult, and meteors (if the appropriate talent is unlocked) with HP, so it's the best choice for a damage dealer.|
Energy Recovery: 10%~45.9%
Basic Attack: 42-510
|Increases elemental skill damage and critical chance by 16%~32% by 6%~12%. Greatly boosts the heroine's elemental skill meteors, allowing her to deal more Cryo damage. The extra energy will allow you to use your ult more often.|
Xyphos Moonglow (4 stars)
Elemental Mastery: 36~165 < /p>
Basic Attack: 42-510
|Increases the character's Energy Recovery by 0.035% per Elemental Mastery every 10 seconds. The effect lasts 12 seconds. Nearby allies receive 30% of this bonus. The buff stacks if the weapon is wielded by other party members. Leila herself does not really need energy in view of the low cost of the ult, but her allies can come in handy. In addition, increasing the MC will increase the reactions created by the student, so this weapon is also suitable for a secondary damage dealer.|
Oath of Freedom (5 stars)
Elemental Mastery: 43~198
< p>Basic Attack: 46-608
|Increases damage dealt by 10~20 percent and generates Talismans of Empowerment even when the character is not on the battlefield. After collecting two talismans, they disappear, increasing allies' normal and charged damage by 16% and attack power by 20%. A good option for both support and sub-DD. The fact is that it not only strengthens allies, but also increases Laila's personal damage and her mastery of the elements (makes her reactions more powerful).|
Steel Sting (4 stars)
Elemental Mastery: 36~165
Basic Attack: 42-510
|Dealing elemental damage increases all damage by 6 percent for 6 seconds. The effect occurs no more than once every second and stacks up to two times. A nice free option that boosts Laila's reactions and personal damage.|
Harbinger of Dawn (3 Stars)
Critical Damage: 10.2%~46.9%
Basic attack: 39-401
|Increases critical strike chance by 14%~28% while above 90% health. The sword passive will work most of the time, since Lyla is usually under her own shield or out of the battlefield. True, due to the low base attack, you will have to deal the main damage with an ult or you will need to use supports.|
When choosing artifacts, we recommend that you take the following two incomplete sets:
- Millelite's Fortitude: 2 pieces increases the character's health by 20%. Dropped from the Mountainwatch dungeon.
- Snowstorm Lost: 2 pieces increase Cryo damage bonus by 15%. Can be obtained from Vindagnir's Peak Dungeon.
This will increase your ultimate, shield, and elemental skills, and deal more Cryo damage to your enemies. Millelite's Fortitude can be temporarily replaced with two pieces of Ceremony of the Ancient Nobles.
If you're playing on a Freeze-focused team (Cryo + Hydro), then we'd recommend getting Lost in the Blizzard full set, which will increase your critical strike chance by a whopping 40%.
As for choosing your primary characteristics of artifacts, then the hourglass should be taken for HP%, the goblet (cup) for the Cryo damage bonus, and the crown (cap) for critical damage/crit chance. Hits in a ratio of 2 to 1. Among the additional parameters, pay attention to HP%, energy recovery, elemental mastery, ATK% and crits.
Best commands for Laila
Since Layla can function as both a support and a sub-DD, she is able to fit into almost any team that needs a good shield or reactor. She can be attributed to the group of characters who are able to do most of the things entrusted to them. Under certain conditions, she can even become a main DPS.
For example, you can pair her with either Eimiya or Kli (Melting reaction), who can greatly benefit from her ability to permanently Cryo on enemies. You can also collect a good pack for physical damage by taking a two-handed hero and an Electro hero (Superconductor reaction) into the squad.
Of course, Laila goes well with other Cryo characters and Hydro fighters, which allows you to assemble a powerful squad with an emphasis on Freeze. The table below shows the most interesting command options.
|Main DPS||Minor DPS||Minor DPS/Support||Support|
| < p>|
How to increase skills
To do this, you have to collect certain materials, the list of which listed below.
- “Wit” Teachings, Instructions, and Philosophies – Looted in the Tower of Ignorance dungeon on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays.
- Scroll of Divine Magic, Seal, and Forbidden Curse – Dropped by Shamachurls, purchasable with Starlight, or crafted with the help of Alchemy.
- Unknown material – drops from the weekly boss Scaramucci.
- Crown of Insight – obtained by leveling the permafrost tree (Mondstadt), the sacred sakura (Inazuma) and the Dream Tree ( Sumeru). Sometimes issued as events.
In the case of using Layla as a shield, pump the elemental skill and elemental explosion at the same time to about level 6. Then the main focus should be on the elemental skill to strengthen the shield. Next, download the ultimate.
At the sub-DD reactor, you can first pump the explosion of the elements to the maximum, and then improve the E-shku. In both cases, downloading regular attacks is optional. You should only upgrade them if you plan to use Lyla as a main damage dealer.
How to level up
Get ready to search for a huge variety of resources. Below are their names and how to get them.
- First Ascension (level 20; 20,000 mora) – 1 Shivad Jade Shard, 3 Nilotpala Lotus, 3 Scroll of Divine Magic
- Second Ascension (Level 40; 40,000 mora) – 3 Shivad Jade Fragments, 2 Perpetual Gears, 10 Nilotpal Lotus, 15 Divine Magic Scrolls , 4 perpetual mechanisms, 20 nilotpal lotus, 12 seal scroll
- Fourth Ascension (level 60; 80,000 mora) – 3 pieces of Shivada Jade, 8 perpetual mechanism, 30 nilotpal lotus, 18 seal scroll
- Fifth Ascension (Level 70; 100,000 mora) – 6 pieces of Shivad Jade, 12 Perpetual Gears, 45 Nilotpal Lotus, 12 Scrolls of Forbidden Curse
- Sixth Ascension (Level 80; 120,000 mora) – 6 Jewel Shivad Jades, 20 Perpetual Gears, 60 Nilotpal Lotus, 24 Forbidden Curse Scrolls
Shivad Jades can be obtained from Cryo Fern, Lupus Borealis, Ancient Geovishap, Cryo Hypostasis, Magu Kenki, Signora, and Infinite mechanical array. They are also sold in the souvenir shop. Eternal Gear drops from Eternal Calamity Dragon. The nilotpala lotus is a local curiosity of Sumeru. In a separate guide, we indicated their location.